>> Thursday, May 28, 2009 – Breakfast, good rawa upma, healthy upma, kichadi, rawa upma, semolina kichadi, semolina upma, sooji for breakfast, sooji kichadi, Sooji upma, Tiffins, upma with vegetables, Upmas, white rawa upma
Everything in my fridge was out of stock..except very common ingredients like tomato, chilli ginger and one carrot and frozen peas. And also felt very lazy to go for shopping yesterday..So I made upma which is always comforting dinner. Like hotels this is always an emergency and substitute item but very tasty one right!!!!!!! . Even when unexpected guest arrives idli batter and upma will be our first choice. So many credits goes to this upma. Here is the recipe for helping hand upma...
Sooji(semolina) - 1 cup
Onion - 1 chopped medium cubes
Green chilli - 3 Slitted
Ginger - 1/2 inch chopped finely
Carrot and peas - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - few
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp or as required
Mustard - 2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tbsp
Channa dhal - 1 tbsp
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Oil - 2 1/2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Heat tbsp of ghee in the deep bottom vessel or in the frying pan.
2. Put the sooji and roast it for a while it has to be hot enough if u touch it. And aroma will increase and upma will not be sticky too when u do this procedure.
3. In another deep frying pan heat the oil and season with mustard and dhal.
4. When it turns to golden brown add the onion, green chilli, ginger, vegetables. saute slightly.
5. Add the water and check for salt.
6. When water comes to boil add the lemon juice and put to low flame.
7. Add the roasted rawa to the boiling water by stirring continuously. Adding rawa and stirring water should be done simultaneously otherwise lumps will be formed.
8. Blend well and close with a lid for some time and mix it.
9. Let it rest for 3 to 4 minutes in the low flame then put off the flame.
10. Mix well and serve with mango pickle or whichever you like. It will be heavenly.
1. Add rawa to water only when water comes to nice boiling point otherwise upma will be sticky.
2. Saute veggies for 2 minutes or so only then the color and cruchiness of vegetable will be maintained.
3. Do not add too less oil then upma will be so dry or sticky.
4. Lemon can be added according to ur sourness level.
5. I usually add more dhal for seasoning so that we can feel the crunchiness in every spoon.