>> Monday, May 11, 2009 – anapakaya annam, bottle gourd dishes, bottle gourd rice, dhudi rice, easy rice varieties, healthy rice using bottle gourd, Rice Dishes, rice using bottle gourd, sorakaya rice
Bottle gourd which is Sorakaya in tamil, Anapakaya in telugu, lauki or dhudi in hindi is used for many dishes in India like curries, subzi, Halwa and many more. It has more water content which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Zinc, Thiamin, Iron etc. This rice tastes so delicious serve with raita or boiled egg.
Basmathi rice - 1 cup (or any choice of rice can be used this time I used sona masoori)
Bottle Gourd - 2 cups chopped to big cubes
Tomato - 2 chopped (medium sized)
Onion - 1 sliced length wise
Turmeric - little
Chilli powder - 1 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - few
Coriander for garnishing
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Garlic - 2 pod
Saunf - 2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
Cloves - 2
oil and salt as required
1. Keep a pressure cooker or any other vessel which you usually do briyani or anyother variety rice.
2. Heat oil in it and add the seasonings, then add the sliced onion and curry leaves.
3. Grind the above ingredients in the grinding part.
4. Add it to onion and saute until raw smell disappears.
5. Now add the tomato and cook until they become soft and mushy.
6. All the moisture should be absorbed. Add the turmeric and chilli powder.
7. Now add the bottle gourd and saute lightly the add the water let it boil.
8. Add the rice and close the lid ,when steam comes out put the whistle and keep in very low flame for 10 minutes .
9. When it is cooled remove the lid and garnish with coriander leaves.
1.When sauteing bottle gourd do not fry it for long time then it becomes so soft and mushy.
2. Each rice requires different measurement of water so use accordingly.