>> Wednesday, May 6, 2009 – Vegetable Dry Curries
This is raw banana, plantain, aratikaya or vazhaikaai is all same but different languages. This masala roast is so yummy with all spices and suits with hot steamed rice, rasam, curd rice, dhal, kootu. You can adjust spice level accordingly to your preference.
Plantain - 1
Shallots - 2
Pepper - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 1
Tumeric - 1 tsp
Garlic - 1 pod
Saunf - 1 1/2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Red chillies for seasoning - 1
Salt and oil
1. Peel the skin of the plantain not to much slightly you can leave it ..It tastes good when you roast them.
2. Chop it as big cubes or small however you like.
3. Heat oil in the frying pan and season with mustard, red chilli and curry leaves.
4. Then add chopped plantain just sprinkle water and close with lid and cook until it is soft .
5. Now for masala grind pepper, chilli,saunf, garlic , turmeric, shallots with some salt to fine paste.
6. Now add this to the plantain, check for salt. Sprinkle some water again and close the lid once in a while so that masala coats the vegetable. After the raw smell disappears open the lid and roast well until it turns brown color .
Add oil while roasting when it becomes dry.
You can substitute plantain with arvi, yam or even potato for this.