This is our family favourite dish which my mother-in-law used to make with leftover rice , it tastes so yummy with lots of onion and touch of pepper. This can be served as breakfast or dinner. It is perfect combination with coconut chutney. So soft and tastes so good. Here is the recipe.
Left over rice (Even fresh can also be used) - 1 cup
Raw Rice (pacharisi) - 1 cup
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Green chilli - 3
Onion - 1 big chopped finely
Salt - as required
Curd - 1 cup
Soda-bi carbonate - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Round plates with walls is used for steaming the idlies.
1. Wash the raw rice in cold water and drain well and keep aside for 1/2 hr.
2. The moisture in rice will be absorbed and now powder the rice like fine rawa.
3. Now grind the left over rice using the curd and make it as fine paste.
4. Add this mixture to the powdered rice add salt and mix well.
5. This has to be fermented overnight.
6. Now in the morning grind the chilli paste and add to the batter.
7. Add chopped onion, pepper,oil(3 tbsp) and required salt mix well.
8. Make the cooker ready for steaming.
9. Add the soda-bi carbonate to the batter mix well and pour this to the plate about less than 3/4th of its height.
10. Steam it for 15 minutes.
11. Remove and let it cool for few seconds and cut to pieces in desired shape.
12. Tilt it and serve. Fluffy idlies are ready with yummy coconut chutney.
1.You need not grease the plates. Just wash with water and pour the batter less than 3/4 th of the height because it raises.
2. If your making more quantities plates can be stacked in the cooker keeping two sticks between each plates.
Coconut chutney :
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Roasted gram dhal - 1/8 cup
Green chillies - 2
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves little(optional)
Mustard- 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal- 1 tsp
Oil , curry leaves
Grind the above ingredients to coarse paste and do the tempering with mustard,urad and curry leaves.