>> Wednesday, April 29, 2009 – Breakfast, semiya kitchadi, semiya upma, south indian upma, tasty upma, Tiffins, upma for dinner, upma made easy, Upmas, Vermicelli upma
Vermicelli upma easy to make and it makes the dish so healthy by adding more vegetables. It is perfect to serve for breakfast or dinner.
Vermicelli - 1 cup
Vegetables - carrots, peas, beans, cabbage (julienned)
Onion - 1 sliced
Tomato - 1 small
Green chilli - 3
Ginger - 1/4 inch chopped fine
Curry leaves - few
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Water - 1 1/4 cup
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dhal and channa dhal - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp
salt as required
1. Heat ghee in the frying pan and add the vermicelli roast it until it turns slight brown colour.
2. Now remove and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan heat the oil and add mustard and dhal one by one.
4. Now add the green chilli, ginger and curry leaves.
5. Add the onions, tomato and saute until the tomato are mashed slightly.
6. Add the vegetables and saute just for 2 minutes.
7. Now add the garam masala and salt. Pour the measured water.
8. When water boils well add the roasted vermicelli and put in very low flame.
9. And close the lid 3/4 when all the moisture is absorbed mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot .
Add the vermicelli when water boils well otherwise the vermicelli will be sticky.
Do not saute vegetables for long time so that it looses its crunchiness at the end.