>> Wednesday, June 17, 2009 – Rasam(Chaaru)
Tuvar dhal cooked water - 1 1/2 cup (see Notes)
Tomato - 1 big(sour tomato is good)
Garlic - 1 pod
Jeera - 1 1/2 tsp
Red chilli - 1
Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
coriander for garnishing
Fenu greek seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilli -1
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
1. Grind tomato, jeera, peppercorns, curry leaves, garlic, red chilles to fine paste.
2. Dilute the mixture with dhal water and adjust the consistency.
3. Bring the mixture to boil once it comes to rolling boil, temper the rasam with red chilli and fenugreek. You can use ghee or oil for tempering. Close with the lid immediately.
4. Garnish with coriander leaves.
5. Serve with hot rice, poriyal(koora), and chips or appalam.
1. If tomato is not sour add tbsp of tamarind extract.
2. Cook tuvar dhal in pressure cooker reserve the water for making rasam or use 1/8 cup of cooked tuvar dhal dilute with water and use if for making rasam.
3. You can even use normal water instead of dhal water, it tastes slightly different but still it tastes good.