>> Friday, February 20, 2009 – Breakfast, channa dhal upma, dhal upma, different upma, easy upma, healthy upma, pressure cooker upma, rice and dhal upma, rice upma, tavila pindi, Tiffins, toor dhal upma, Upmas
RICE DHAL UPMA is different from normal semolina and wheat rawa upma which is one of our traditional item we make at home. This is really flavorful and hearty with nice texture. If you haven't tried this yet i recommend to try this. Cumin and pepper in this gives good flavor to it. Its neither dry nor mushy.
Raw Rice - 3/4 cup
Toor dhal - 1/4 cup
Channa dhal - one Handful
For Tempering :
Cumin - 1 tsp
Whole pepper - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 1
Curd chilli(optional)- 1
Mustard - 1 tsp
Channa and urad dhal - 1 tsp
Water - 2 1/2 cup
Coconut grated - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Oil - 2 1/2 tbsp
salt - as required
1. First coarsely powder the rice and dhal separately, the texture should be like wheat rawa.
2. Coarsely powder cumin and pepper
3. Heat 1 tbsp ghee and oil in a frying pan
4. Add mustard, dhals later add cumin+pepper powder
5. Then Curry leaves and chillies
6. Now add measured water and add salt as needed.
7. Now here is the tricky part , while water is boiling add coarsely powdered rice dhal mixture slowly to water, parallely you have to stir water so that lumps will not be formed.
8. Stir it continuously until all water is absorbed. Do this is low to medium flame.
9. Now add grated coconut stir well.
10. Transfer in a container which fits in the pressure cooker and pressure cook like rice. (3 to4 whistles)
11. After pressure is released take out give a stir and then add remaining ghee.
12. Stir it often when its cooling.
13. Its now ready to serve with pickle, sugar even I like to serve with rasam, curd too.
14. This taste so good next day too.
15. If the rice and dhal rawa is ready this can be done in 15 minutes. So you can even do this rawa ahead of time and store in airtight container.
If your not having the pressure cooker this can be done in frying pan by stirring continuously until it is cooked and reaches semolina upma consistency. But you have to do in low flame. This process is quite long then pressure cooker.