>> Thursday, March 18, 2010 – Spreads for Sandwiches
Tapenade is a popular dish in France, It can be used as a spread or as a topping for baguettes, crackers, or even you can use this as a stuffing too. We first tasted this when we were in Singapore. We used to get this in carrefour and Market place. As we all like tomato and olives we started loving this and I started making at home which is so easy, tasty and fresh then store bought one. For past 4 years I am making this and my fridge will always be filled with atleast 2 kinds of spread, as we eat sandwiches for breakfast at least 250 days a year.
I usually make 2 types Olive which is my sons favorite and Sun-dried tomato Tapenade. The key ingredient in these are Olive oil, Herbs, Olives and Capers. I am sure you all will love too if you are Olive lovers.. Just give it a try if you never tried it. I usually make it with slight Indian touch by adding chilli powder to the Tomato tapenade to make it more spicy, Its up to you can can either add chilli powder or Pepper powder. Take a glance at the tips to see the use of Tapenade for making other dishes.
Black pitted olives - 1 can
Fresh Parsley - 1 handful (washed and make it moist free using Kitchen towel)
Olive oil - 4 tbsp
Capers - 4 tbsp
Pepper - as required
Garlic - 2 pod crushed
Red chilli flakes - 1 tsp(Optional)
Salt as required as both Olive and capers has salt in it.
1. Add all the above in the food processor or mixer and give it a whip.
2. Just make a coarse paste and store in the air tight container.
Sun dried tomato - 20 pieces without oil (You can get this in the store which will be soaked in the Olive oil and herbs, take out the tomato without oil)
Green Olives - 10(small size)
Basil- 10 leaves (cleaned)
Garlic - 2 pod
Olive oil - 2 tbsp to 4 tbsp ( If the Sun dried tomato is soaked in oil the reduce the quantity here)
Chilli powder - as required
Balsamic Vinegar - 1 tbsp
Salt as required
1. Put all the ingredients in the food processor or mixer and make it coarse paste.
2. Save it in the air tight container.
1. Make sure to use good quality olives which gives wonderful taste.
2. The herbs has to be washed and dried using the paper towel as we can store this for at least 10 days in the fridge.
3. If your not having the Sun-dried tomato which is not soaked in the oil then do this procedure. Just warm the olive oil now put the dried ones and herbs let it soak for 1 day or so. Then you can use this for making tapenade.
4. Other than Tomato, olives, capers and Oil all other ingredients are optional add according to your taste.
1. You can add a spoon of Tomato Tapenade to the egg mixture when you make omelette's, tastes so so good.
2. You can stuff the tapenades in the Mushroom and add your favorite cheese and grill or bake in the oven.
3. Topping for the french baguettes, Crackers and breads.
4. Saute 2 tbsp while making Tomato or Olive pasta.