>> Monday, March 22, 2010 – chaat using green gram vada, Deep fried snacks, green gram vada, Indian Sweets, moong snack, paramannam, paravannam, poppy seed dessert, poppy seed payasam, Sweets
Green Gram Vada and Poppy Seed Payasam(Paravannam) is my ugadi specials but I did not find time to post on that day. Instead I posted which was already ready in my draft. When I posted Sprouts rice I told you that I will give you the recipe for sprouts vada. You can either make this vada using green gram sprouts or just without sprouting. This is so yummy and comes out so so so crispy and lite that you can enjoy thoroughly. Just take a look at my tip section for serving suggestions too. Next is poppy seeds payasam which is our very favorite one that you can make only with 3 ingredients and so easy too. This is one of our traditional payasam. Here is my ugadi specials for your Visuals.
GREEN GRAM VADA
Green gram - 1 cup ( You can use sprouted one too)
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Garlic - 2 pod
Green chilli - 5
Cummin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Salt - to taste
Oil for deep frying
1. Soak the green gram overnight.
2. Grind with other ingredients to very coarse paste or batter without adding much water.
3. The consistency must be like dropping or the dosa batter consistency.
4. Check for salt. Now add the chopped coriander with the batter.
5. Heat the oil in the deep vessel or small wok.
6. Once the oil is very hot, drop the batter to small balls.
7. Leave it for few seconds and give it a turn, when it is crispy and cooked all the sides then it is done. Drain in the paper towel. And serve with coconut chutney.
POPPY SEED PAYASAM
Poppy seeds - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1 1/2 cup ( add milk if it is too thick)
Sugar - 3/4 cup
1. First powder the Poppy seed in the dry mixer coarsely.
2. Now add the sugar and milk.
3. It has to be ground coarsely, don't make it fine as it does not taste good.
4. The consistency should be like dosa batter. Accordingly adjust the milk too.
5. Now cook in the stove top, while cooking it curdles but don't worry it is normal and it is supposed to be like that which tastes so wonderful.
6. At One stage the raw smell of the poppy seed disappears and it starts boiling nicely. Switch off the flame.
7. You can serve it hot or cold. Yummy creamy curdly sweet is ready !!!!!
1. You can substitute the Poppy seeds with Pumpkin seeds(dehusked), Cucumber seeds too.
2. You can substitute the green gram with cow peas( Black eye bean), Alasandhalu( Karamani) too.
1. Once the vada is done you can make curd vada, By soaking it in the curd as we normally do it. Its so tasty.
2. You can serve with sambar and chutney.
3. Can add to rasam to make rasam vada.
4. Another interesting way Which I always do is ..In a mixing bowl add chopped raw onion( finely), Chopped coriander, Dash of lemon and Chaat masala give it a toss and serve in a bowl. Yummy !!!!!