>> Monday, July 20, 2009 – brinjal curry, eggplant curry, ennai kathirikai, ennai kathirikai kulambu, kathirikai kuzhambu, kathirikai puli kulambu, Kuzhambu, Pulusu (sambar or kuzhambu varieties), ulli vankaya pulusu
Mmmmmmmm this is really yumm to your taste buds... Do you think why ? yah because it is spicy, sour, sweet and also salt what else we need in a dish. This is one of the South Indian gravy( kuzhambu or pulusu) in which cute little small eggplants are added to the tamarind with combination of freshly ground spice masala. It goes very well with rice served with pappad, vadagams. Perfect for a lunch menu and also goes very well with idli, dosas and aapam too. Try it out to tickle your tongue....
Small eggplants(Brinjal) - 10
Shallots or Big onion - 15 shallots or 2 onions cubed
Tamarind - 1 lemon sized (pulped)
Channa dhal - 1 tbsp
Urad dhal - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Fenu greek - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 6 or according to ur spicelevel
coconut grated - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Tumeric - 1 tsp
Salt and Sesame oil(Gingelly oil)
Mustard , curry leaves for seasoning
Coriander for garnishing
1. Slit the brinjal and put in the water diluted with 1 tbsp milk so that it will turn color. They should be slitted to 4 or 6 leavening the top portion uncut. So that they remains the whole shape with the slits.
2. Take a teaspoon of oil in the frying pan and fry the dhals, coriander seeds , jeera, fenugreek, chillies everything one by one till roasted golden brown and make a powder out of it by adding the coconut too. Keep it aside.
3. In a wide frying pan add some oil saute the onions and vegetable.
4. Fry until they are slightly brown and add the tamarind extract.
5. Once they get cooked add the ground powder, tumeric, salt , jaggery and enough water.
6. Cook for sometime. Once they are slightly thickened. Season with 4 tbsp oil and mustard , curry leaves.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
1. This tastes so so good next day too. All the flavors gets incorporated into the brinjal and taste awesome.
2. To reduce the cooking time you can add the veggies, onion saute in the pressure pan add all other ingredients with 4 tbsp of oil pressure cook for 1 whistle keeping in high flame then season with mustard and curry leaves. This procedure saves time too.