>> Wednesday, August 5, 2009 – easy rice for potluck, picnic rice, Rice Dishes, side dish for idly or dosa, tomato biriyani, tomato gojju, tomato pilaf, tomato rice for potluck, Tomato rice using gojju
Usually I prepare 3 to 4 variations in Tomato rice, this is one of them. This variation is like; we prepare tomato gojju (sauce like) ahead and mix it with cooked rice when needed. You can also keep the gojju in the fridge and use it whenever you need it. The Tomato gojju stays good in fridge for 10 days also. This rice will have nice and tangy tomato flavor with some pods of garlic and onion. This is absolutely wonderful rice that can be made for big parties, potlucks, picnics as well as lunch box.
The measurement I am posting today will have extra gojju; you can store them in refrigerator for later use. Even u can use this gojju as a side dish for idly or dosa.
Tomato( sour) - 4
Onion - 2 sliced
Green chilli - 4 sliced
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 1o pods sliced
Red chilli powder - 1 tbsp
Saunf powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric - 2 tsp
Salt - as required
Gingelly oil (nallenai,sesame oil) - 3 tbsp
Mustard - 2 tsp
Urand and channa dhal - 2 tbsp each
Mixing rice :
Cooked rice - 1 cup
Tomato gojju prepared - as required
Salt - as needed
Oil for mixing (Gingelly oil)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Heat oil in the pan and add the seasoning ingredients one by one.
2. Add the saunf powder and curry leaves.
3. Then add the garlic after it is slightly brown add the slice onion too.
4. Saute till light brown then add tomato chopped.
5. To this add salt, turmeric, chilli powder. saute until everything is well mashed and oil separates.
6. switch it off and once cooled store in air tight container.
For making rice :
Mix the gojju with rice , adjust salt and oil as needed and garnish with coriander rice. Serve with chips, vadagams, raita or Boiled egg too.
For variation you can add cooked peas to rice.