>> Thursday, April 12, 2012 – Dessert, easy home made icecream, eggless icecream, flower icecream, flower jam, gulkand, Icecream, rose icecream, rose petal jam, rose petal preserve, rose syrup icecream
Wish You All A Happy Tamil New Year and Happy Vishu !
Gulkand is a sweet preserve of rose petals. Gul means flower (Rose) and Kand means sweet (sugar). Gulkand is an Ayurvedic tonic and it is the most delicious Ayurvedic preparation known to mankind. The National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine provides a list of the benefits obtained from eating Gulkand. This includes reduction of pitta and heat in the body, a reduction in eye inflammation and redness, strengthening of the teeth and gums, and the treatment of acidity etc. There are so many other medicinal properties for Gulkand.
Gulkand is used in various ways, I am listing a few
1. It commonly used as an ingredient of Paan (Betel leaves), which is served after meal and claimed to be chewed as a palate cleanser, a breath freshener and for digestive purposes.
2. Because of its unique taste and flavor of the rose they are used for many sweet preparations.
3. You can also enjoy Gulkand on its own like Halwa :) I love this :)
Back home in India, I use to have this Gulkand with Vanilla ice cream which tastes so yummy. That is the main inspiration of this Gulkand ice cream and it tastes soooo fresh, aromatic and flavorful. This ice cream is so easy to make and it is perfect dessert to beat the heat... We enjoyed licking the ice cream and I am sure you too..
I am glad to share that this is my first post with my new lens which I won here, thanks Siri :) . You not only did an awesome job, you also gave us a wonderful opportunity to help the cute little kids.
In this recipe I am using 2 important ingredients, off course one is Gulkand and another one is Rose syrup. You can buy this in any Indian grocery or even you can order through Amazon.
Click here to see another Rose flavored dessert using the Rose Syrup "Jigarthanda - A popular one from southern part of India"
ROSE PETAL JAM ICECREAM/GULKAND ICECREAM
Heavy cream - 2 cups (well chilled)
Whole milk - 1 cup (well chilled)
Sugar - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
Gulkand - 5 tbsp
Rose syrup - 1 tbsp
1. In a bowl whisk milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in the heavy cream.
3. If you are using the ice cream maker pour the mixture into the freezer bowl through the ingredients spout. (Note: Refer to your manual for instructions pertaining to your ice cream maker)
4. When it starts to thicken, add the Gulkand and rose syrup. Once they are well blended and thicken further, transfer them to the airtight box and freeze them for another 2 hrs for scooping.
Creamy and flavorful ice cream will be ready to scoop now.....
What if you don't have an ice cream maker...
1. Follow the first 2 steps mentioned above.
2. Take a bowl full of ice cubes.
3. Keep the milk mixture inside the bowl filled with the ice cube.
4. Now whip it using electric egg beater until it is thicken.
5. When it starts to thicken, add the Gulkand and rose syrup. Once they are well blended and thicken further, transfer them to the airtight box and freeze them for another 2 hrs for scooping.
Enjoy Home made delicious ice cream!!!!