I am posting the maple pecan bars substituted with walnuts. Since I had so much walnuts I did with those. You can use any nuts or mixture of nuts for this. Even you can line with fresh fruits and nuts. Will post the lemon bars soon with same shortbread crust... So yummy. You can serve these bars with scoop of ice cream seriously so tasty.. Here goes the recipe.
U need 8x8" pan lining with parchment paper
Shortbread Crust :
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cup
Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Powdered sugar - 1/3 cup
Butter - 1 1/4 stick at room temperature
Egg - 1 (optional)
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Cream the butter and sugar in the mixer.
2. Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
3. Add to the butter mixer. Add salt.
4. Add the egg and mix well using the dough hooks or the paddle.
5. If the dough is not tight add tbsp of flour again.
6. Now spread the dough in the tin evenly using the fingers.
7. Preheat the pan to 350 degree and bake for 10 minutes or so till very slight brown in color and well set.
For the filling :
Butter - 7 oz
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Maple Syrup - 2 tbsp or u can use honey instead
Whole milk or Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Lemon rind - 2 tsp
Toasted walnuts or pecans - 3 cups(chopped into two)
1. Bring the butter and sugar to a slow simmer.
2. Once it is melted add the heavy cream, syrup and cook for 5 minutes. Now add the toasted nuts and lemon rind stir for a while for another 3 minutes or so.
3. Now pour over the baked crust.
4. Bake again in 350 degree for another 20 minutes or until set well.
5. Once cooled cut to desire shapes. Enjoy with scoop of ice cream. I promise u will be out of the world.