Biryani is a South Asian Rice based dish which is made using wonderful spices, rice with either meat or vegetables. They use Basmathi rice for making this aromatic dish. In south India they also use Jeera samba rice, short grain rice which is equally good and gives wonderful flavor and aroma to the biryani. Biryani can done in different methods by the people like keeping in dum, pressure cooker, Electric rice cooker, oven etc. Whatever way it is made it is heavenly and alsmost loved by everyone. It can be had with accompaniments like Raita, kurma or sour dish of eggplant. The condiments used in this dish are not to the limitation and variation. This is one of my easy version of biryani which can be done even on busy days so give it a try. Here I used Jeera samba rice(short grain rice) and Mushroom as main ingredient instead of meat or vegetables.
Short grain rice - 1 cup
Mushroom - 10 to 15 chopped
Onion - 1 sliced
Tomato - 1 big chopped (small)
Ginger + Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Curd(Yogurt) - 1/4 cup
Green chillies - 1 slited
Chilli powder - As required
Any brand biriyani masala or home made masala - 1 tbsp
Mint leaves - 1/4 bunch
Coriander leaves - 1/4 bunch
Lemon - 1/2 squeezed
Salt - As required
Whole spices - cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove 1 each
Water - 1 1/2 cup (Because I used pressure cooker, It differs for other cooking method)
1. Wash and drain the rice from the water and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
2. Now in the pressure cooker heat some oil. Add the whole spices.
3. Add onions and saute till light brown then add ginger, garlic paste.
4. Add tomato once they get mushy, add mushrooms and green chilli.
5. Then add chilli powder, masala powder, lemon, curd one by one .
6. Saute until the oil separates out from this mixture.
7. Now add the chopped mint and half of chopped coriander leaves.
6. Add rice and salt mix well and then boiling water.
7. Close the lid and when steam comes out , put the whistle and turn to very low flame and switch it off after 10 minutes.
8. Once it is done let it set for another 15 to 20 minutes. Now open the lid mix slowly with spatula or fork and garnish with remaining coriander leaves.
9. Serve with boiled egg and Raita.
ONION RAITA :
1. Slice onions
2. Add yogurt, salt and mix well.
3. Raita is ready to serve now.