Methi Channa pulao as name itself describes it has both channa and fenugreek leaves. Fenugreek in hindi is called methi and menthulu in telugu. Fenugreek leaves are used as herbs and seeds as spice. When it is added to any dish it gives excellent flavour. Channa is rich in protein adds healthy part to this rice. So this pulao is healthy as well as flavourful with some interesting combination of spices and aromatic Basmathi Rice. This became all time favourite menu for us. Just wanted to share with you all. Hope everyone will try this and let me know your comments on this.
Basmathi Rice - 1 cup
Channa - 1/2 cup boiled
Methi leaves - Small bunch(remove the leaves)
Tomato - 2 pureed
Onions - 1 sliced
capsicum- 1/2 cubed(optional)
Jeera - 2 tsp
Coriander for garnishing
Salt - As required
Ghee - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3 pods
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Saunf - 1 1/2 tsp
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - small piece
Small onion - 3 or 4
Red chillies - 3 to 4 or as required
1. Heat oil in the pressure pan.
2. Wash Rice and keep it aside, Grind the masala ingredients to fine paste.
3. Seperate the leaves from the stem , wash and chop finely. Mix with little salt and keep it aside.
3. Now add Jeera in the hot oil when it splutters add onions and saute.
4. Add the masala and fry well until raw smell disappears.
5. Now add the pureed Tomato saute until oil floates on the top.
6. Then add leaves by squeezing the liquid from them (This reduces the bitterness). Then add boiled channa.
7. Now add the rice and measured water( I add 1 1/2 cup water) and add salt. Close the lid.
8. When steam comes out put the whistle and keep in low flame for 10 minutes.
9. Mean while fry the capsicum in ghee by adding pinch of salt.
10. Add this capsicum to the rice. Mix well.
11. Garnish with Coriander leaves. Serve with favourite raita.
1. If you are not adding capsicum omit 9 th step and add ghee atlast to the rice.
2. If methi leaves is not available add the kasoori methi in warm water drain and then add it to the rice but 2 tbsp leaves is more then enough.
3. To make this dish more healthy sprout the channa and use them.