Idli, one of the south Indian staple and favorite choice for the breakfast. They are usually paired with chutnies, kothsu, sambar and more.. even though we have lot of accompaniment for this. Some time we lack in the choice of accompaniment or variety. So today I am posting Black urad dhal chutney which is so healthy and perfect for idlies, dosas, and chutney dosa.. Even I am posting the recipe for the idli, I know everybody knew it. But don't mind as this is my digital diary. I am just uploading my simple idli too.....As the name of the chutney is black urad dhal chutney it is the main ingredient which gives nice texture and flavor to the chutney. Moreover using with the skin makes it more healthy.
Ingredients for chutney :
Black urad dhal - 1/8 cup
Channa dhal - 1/8 cup
Roasted channa dhal(Pottukadalai) - 1/8 cup
Fresh coriander leaves - 1 handful
Curry leaves - 1 handful
Ripen green chilli - 5 to 6 (If you want spicy add extra 2)
Coconut - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tbsp( adjsut according to your taste)
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Salt - as required
Oil very little for frying.
Mustard for seasoning.
1. Heat oil in the pan add the dhals and saute till very light brown color in low heat.
2. Keep aside and saute all other ingredients one by one. Except tamarind and jaggery.
3. Once everything is cooled, put it in the blender(Dhals, leaves, coconut, chillies, jaggery, asafoetida, Tamarind paste, salt) to make a coarse paste to get the yummy chutney.
4. Season with mustard. Serve with idli and dosa.
1.Don't make it fine paste as it spoils the taste.
2.Saute the dhals till the nice aroma comes and color slightly changes to very very light brown.
3.You can saute the dhals one by one too.
4.Fry the fresh leaves slightly.
5.This chutney very well goes with hot rice and ghee too..
Ingredients for Idli :
Idli rice - 4 cups
Urad dhal - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
1. Soak the rice for 3 to 4 hours. And dhal for atleast 1 hr.
2. Grind the urad dhal to fine paste until nice foam comes.
3. Remove in the container. Now grind the rice not very fine.
4. Mix the dhal and the rice by adding salt and ferment it overnight.
5. Pour in the idli moulds and steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
6. Serve hot hot with your favorite accompaniment.
Since I don't have grinder. I add handful of beaten rice or cooked rice to get softer idlies.