>> Tuesday, March 22, 2011 – black chickpeas, Black garbanzo, edamame, fresh soybean, ginger flavored quinoa, Grains, lemony quinoa, moong dhal, mukimame, one pot mea with quinoa, Quinoa with moong bean, Zesty quinoa
It’s been long time I did not post any of Quinoa dishes, even though I use them regularly in different forms. There are few dishes which we love so much in Quinoa and this zesty Quinoa is one of those. Lemon Rice is the pure inspiration for this Lemony, Zesty Quinoa. Fresh soybean, cooked moong bean, dhal or Black garbanzo is wonderful combination with lemony Quinoa. I am posting 2 variations which differs slightly, one with Mukimame and one with Black Garbanzo.
What is Mukimame ? The green vegetable Soybean are called "Edamame" when sold in pods, when it is sold as individual beans it is called as " Mukimame".
Mostly of us are aware of Quinoa. They are extremely versatile and easy to prepare. They are good source of Dietary fiber and highly nutritious gluten free seed. Take a peep here for other Quinoa dishes which I posted earlier and stay tuned for more dishes in near future :). Quinoa by itself a nutritious one, when it is combined with soy or any other legumes or bean. It is sure a very healthy one pot meal. Here is how I make them...................
ZESTY QUINOA WITH MUKIMAME AND BLACK GARBANZO
This measurements are for 2 types of quinoa, if your making it with either with the bean or with legumes just 1/2 the measurements.
Quinoa - 1 cups
Mukimame - 1/2 cup frozen (Thaw and microwave it for 4 to 5 minutes or as per the instruction given the package)
Black Garbanzo - 1/2 cup (Soak overnight and pressure cook, drain water and keep it aside)
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Green chillies - 6
(Make paste out of ginger and green chilli)
Curry leaves - few
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dhal - 2 tsp
Channa dhal - 2 tsp
Lemon - 2 tbsp (according to your taste)
Salt as needed
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Wash the quinoa couple of times, drain and keep it aside. Now in a pot boil 1 3/4 water, add tsp of salt. When it comes to rapid boil add the drained quinoa, keep it in the medium flame. Close with the lid. Once all the water is absorbed. Keep in the low flame for 5 minutes and switch off the flame. Leave it for 5 minutes(closed) and fluff it up with the fork. Let it cool aside. This can also be done ahead of time and seasoned when needed.
1. Heat a tbsp of oil; add the mustard seeds, once they start to splutter. Add the urad dhal and channa dhal, followed by Curry leaves.
2. Now add the Asafotida, ginger and green chilli paste. Sauté for few minutes. Add turmeric, cooked bean or Legumes, here it is black garbanzo.
3. Add the cooked Quinoa, Lemon juice, salt.
4. Mix everything, until well blended.
5. Check for taste, if you need lemon juice or salt more add according to your preference and put off the flame.
6. Garnish with Chopped coriander leaves.
Slight Variation using Mukimame :
1. Follow the same 1 and 2 steps above. Now add the Mukimame and Zest of lemon.
2. Add quinoa, lemon juice, salt. Mix well until they are nice blended.
1. Adding the zest gives nice aroma and flavor. So try it out.....
2. Instead of both black garbanzo and Mukimame you can also add the cooked moong dhal and garnish with Shredded coconut.
3. You can also add both black garbanzo as well as mukimame and follow any of one procedure that is by adding zest or without.
Enjoy pot full of Goodness!!!!!
Enjoy pot full of Goodness!!!!!