Methi Channa pulao as name itself describes it has both channa and fenugreek leaves. Fenugreek in hindi is called methi and menthulu in telugu. Fenugreek leaves are used as herbs and seeds as spice. When it is added to any dish it gives excellent flavour. Channa is rich in protein adds healthy part to this rice. So this pulao is healthy as well as flavourful with some interesting combination of spices and aromatic Basmathi Rice. This became all time favourite menu for us. Just wanted to share with you all. Hope everyone will try this and let me know your comments on this.
Basmathi Rice - 1 cup
Channa - 1/2 cup boiled
Methi leaves - Small bunch(remove the leaves)
Tomato - 2 pureed
Onions - 1 sliced
capsicum- 1/2 cubed(optional)
Jeera - 2 tsp
Coriander for garnishing
Salt - As required
Ghee - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3 pods
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Saunf - 1 1/2 tsp
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - small piece
Small onion - 3 or 4
Red chillies - 3 to 4 or as required
1. Heat oil in the pressure pan.
2. Wash Rice and keep it aside, Grind the masala ingredients to fine paste.
3. Seperate the leaves from the stem , wash and chop finely. Mix with little salt and keep it aside.
3. Now add Jeera in the hot oil when it splutters add onions and saute.
4. Add the masala and fry well until raw smell disappears.
5. Now add the pureed Tomato saute until oil floates on the top.
6. Then add leaves by squeezing the liquid from them (This reduces the bitterness). Then add boiled channa.
7. Now add the rice and measured water( I add 1 1/2 cup water) and add salt. Close the lid.
8. When steam comes out put the whistle and keep in low flame for 10 minutes.
9. Mean while fry the capsicum in ghee by adding pinch of salt.
10. Add this capsicum to the rice. Mix well.
11. Garnish with Coriander leaves. Serve with favourite raita.
1. If you are not adding capsicum omit 9 th step and add ghee atlast to the rice.
2. If methi leaves is not available add the kasoori methi in warm water drain and then add it to the rice but 2 tbsp leaves is more then enough.
3. To make this dish more healthy sprout the channa and use them.
Brinjal - 10 chopped as big cubes
Curry leaves - few
Coriander - for garnishing
Salt - as required
For making podi(powder)
Channa dhal - 1/2 tbsp
Urad dhal - 1/2 tbsp
Redchillies - 3 or as required
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 1 pod (optional)
1. Fry all the dry ingredients in a pan with a tsp of oil, powder it and keep aside
2.Heat oil in frying pan, add the chopped brinjal and curry leaves
3.Saute the brinjal in slow flame by closing lid once in a while until it is cooked
4.Now add the powder and salt to the brinjal
5.Mix well until they all are well blended and saute till it gets roasted
6.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
Chopped brinjal can be put in water diluted with 1 tbsp of milk to avoid discoloration
Mushroom - 1 pac chopped medium sized cubes
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Tomato- 1 chopped finely
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 1 sliced finely
Cummin - 1 tsp
Whole spices - cloves, cardamom, Cinnamon each 1
Curry leaves - 4 sprigs (more gives good flavour)
Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
Cummin powder - 1/2 tbsp
Tumeric - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tbsp or according to taste (Divide into 2 portions)
Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch chopped finely and divide into 2 portions
2. In the same oil add whole spices and Cummin. When it splutters, add onions and green chillies. Fry till slight brown then add ginger+garlic paste.
3. After aroma disappears add tomato and saute until they are mushy.
4. Add all the powders and one portion of pepper powder.
5. Now add the mushrooms and 1/2 of chopped coriander leaves. Then add salt accordingly.
6. More water oozes out from mushroom, Saute until all the moisture is again absorbed.
7. Now add remaining pepper powder and coriander leaves.
8. Mix well until well blended and garnish with crispy curry leaves.
For Chocolate Sponge:
All purpose flour - 50gm
Sponge cakemix - 110gm
Cocoa - 15gm
Water - 5tbsp
Egg yolks - 4
Any vegetable oil - 5tbsp
Pinch of salt
Beat the above ingredients manually.
Ingredients (2) :
Egg whites - 4
Sugar - 100gm
cream of tartar - 1/2 tsp
1. Take 10 inch round tin. Line tin with greaseproof paper.Preheat oven at 180 degree Centigrade.
2. Sieve flour with Cocoa.
3. Add in ingredient (1) and mix well.
4. Beat ingredient (2) until stiff.
5. Fold in ingredient (1) mixture into ingredient (2) in one direction lightly.
6. Pour into prepared tin.
7. Bake for 30 minutes
8. Check the cake by inserting toothpick or skewer if it comes out clearly cake is done.
9. Cool in wired rack or stand completely.
Ovens temperature may varies for different brands so check 8th test after 30 minutes.
Dark sweet cherries - 1 tin
Corn flour- 1 tbsp
Water- 1tbsp for mixing cornflour
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Whipping Cream - 300 gm
Rum - 1 tsp (optional)
Red cherries- as needed for decorating
Cooking chocolate - 200 gm
Dark cherries syrup - 100ml
(which is in tin of dark cherries)
1. Boil the cherries syrup with the sugar and thicken with flour. Pour in sweet cherries. Leave to cool.
2. Slice the cake into two pieces horizontally.
3. Mix whipping cream and rum beat at high speed until peaks are formed.
4. Spread a little whipping cream onto one slice of the sponge, then spread the cherries on top. Cover with the other piece of cake.
5. Spread the whole cake with cream, chocolate shavings on the top and sides, then decorate the cherries onto the cake.
6. Chill in the refrigerator.
Chocolate shavings can be done using vegetable peeler and keep in refrigerator until ready to decorate